A Something in a Summer’s Day …

Blooming sunflowers to help attract the pollinators.
Saucer-sized sunflowers to help attract the pollinators.

A something in a summer’s Day
As slow her flambeaux burn away
Which solemnizes me.

A green heirloom tomato staring up at the sun, craving its warmth.
Our well-upholstered heirloom tomatoes.

A something in a summer’s noon —
A depth — an Azure — a perfume —
Transcending ecstasy.

Birthing a new pineapple ...
Birthing a new pineapple … a colorful illustration of the fibonacci sequence.

And still within a summer’s night
A something so transporting bright
I clap my hands to see —

Our first crop of black tomatoes.
Indigo Rose tomatoes.

Then veil my too inspecting face
Lets such a subtle — shimmering grace
Flutter too far for me —

The flower of the scarlet runner bean.
The  ornamental flower of the Scarlet Runner Bean.

The wizard fingers never rest —
The purple brook within the breast
Still chafes it narrow bed —

Green Roma tomatoes soon to be ripe for our sauces.
Ripening Romas soon to be turned into tomato sauce.

Still rears the East her amber Flag —
Guides still the sun along the Crag
His Caravan of Red —

Edible borage flowers & a useful companion plant.
Edible borage flowers & a useful companion plant.

So looking on — the night — the morn
Conclude the wonder gay —
And I meet, coming thro’ the dews
Another summer’s Day!

Budding mulberries.
Budding mulberries disguising themselves as caterpillars.

Written by Emily Dickinson (1830-1886).

Edible miniature violas.
Edible miniature violas.

Gratitude!

Peter Komanyana, our green-fingered garden manager.
Peter Komanyana, our green-fingered garden manager.

Annabel Hughes is an award-winning chef and blogger, and the creator of “bush gourmet” cuisine.

0 Comments

• Beautuiful poetry to match beautiful photos. Well done to Peter too. If the planet had gardeners like you, Chris and Peter would anyone go hungry?

• Thank you so much, Hellie … and thank you to Emily Dickinson!

• Words delicious enough to eat!

• Thank you, dear Louise … I bow to Emily Dickinson! xo

• Love the photographs – scrolling through them as the sky thunders over Naples!

• Thank you, Georgie! I hope you’re avoiding Napoli’s tangenziale if it’s pouring. Take care!

• The start of school tomorrow is making me a bit wistful; it’s nice to remember that in half the world summer is just beginning.

• And you will be in it before long, dear Cynthia. We cannot wait! Best of luck with the start of school tomorrow. xo

• What a beautiful way to start my morning. Beautiful pictures, beautiful words – Thanks Annabel, thanks Emily!!!!!

• And what a beautiful message to receive as my working day winds down. Thank you, dear Gilda!

• What wonderful photos ,do you take them?

• I do, Rachel … and thank you. The light is so perfect right now and that helps!

• Stunning photos! I miss the African sunshine.

• Thank you, Janie. Where we are in the Zambezi Valley this is such a perfect time of year. By October we may be cursing the heat ;). Thank you again for stopping by. All the best, Annabel

• Hi Annabel…looks yummy…love to show Shoprite what a real eggplant looks like…Lucy X

• Hi Lucy … Thank you for your kind comment. I’ll be blogging on eggplant when they are ready to be harvested, so look out for an illustration soon! xo